Festive Mincemeat traybake slices are made with a light short crust pastry layer flavoured with all the spices of Christmas. Spread with festive mincemeat. Decorated with pastry stars and angels. These are the perfect easy to make mincemeat bars.
The pastry for this Festive Mincemeat slab, is light and crumbly in texture, just how shortcrust pastry should be. I love making these. They make a perfect afternoon snack that’ll get you and the family into the festive spirit. Serve them with your other mincemeat cookie bars and cake bars and you’ll have plenty to go around.
How to make these festive Mincemeat Traybake Slices
Once you’ve made the pastry, roll out to a 1/4 ins/0.5cm thickness. Cut a rectangle to fit the base of the baking tray. Cut 1 cm strips to fit along the edge of the pastry to help prevent the Mincemeat from running over the sides when baking.
Spread the mincemeat evenly over the pastry keeping inside the side strips. You may not need all of the mincemeat.
Don’t over flour your surface when rolling out the pastry and don’t over handle it either, or it could loose its crumbliness when baked. I’ve used a very quick and easy way to make the pastry.
If your kitchen is very warm, you may want to place the pastry in the fridge to settle down before rolling out onto the baking tray before topping and baking.
Why not make your own Speculaas spice mix. It can be used in all your other cakes and bakes recipes.
Other festive bakes that you may like to try.
Festive Mincemeat traybake slices
Ingredients - Imperial /oz are approx weights which are calculated by a 3rd party app
- 340 g Plain Flour
- 170 g Butter straight from the fridge. Cubed.
- 1/2 Teaspoon Speculaas spice or Mixed Spice
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 400 g Ready made Mince Meat
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg Fan assisted. Grease the sides and base of a shallow swiss roll tin measuring approx 27cm x 19cm at the base.
- Using a food processor, mix together the flour, spices and butter until you reach a breadcrumb consistency.
- Add the egg yolks and water. Mix until the pastry comes together.
- Remove from the food processor and place onto a lightly floured board. Bring together any remaining clumps of pastry.
- Roll out to a 1/4 ins/0.5cm thickness. Cut a rectangle to fit the base of the tin.
- Cut 1 cm strips to fit along the edge of the pastry to help prevent the Mincemeat from running over the sides when baking.
- Spread the mincemeat evenly over the pastry keeping inside of the side strips. You may not need it all.
- Using your favourite cutters, cut out enough pastry shapes to decorate the top of the slab.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approx 25 mins, or until baked and lightly golden.
- Dust with icing sugar. Optional
- Once cooled, cut into slices and serve on their own or with a dollop of lightly whipped fresh cream, flavoured with a dash of festive booze.
This recipe was first published in December 2016 and has since been updated in November 2019 with additional images and text.