Moist and delicious Strawberry Pound cake, with a swirl of fresh Strawberry Jam and Natural Yogurt. Serve with fresh Strawberries and a good dollop of cream.
Strawberry Swirl Pound Cake
Ingredients - Imperial /oz are approx weights which are calculated by a 3rd party app
For the Jam
- 220 g Fresh Strawberries hulled
- 2 tbs Caster Sugar
- Juice and Zest of half a Lemon
For the Cake
- 120 g Butter softened
- 225 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Medium Sized Eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 120 ml Plain Natural Yogurt
- 225 g Self Raising Flour sieved
Make the Jam
- Place the strawberries, sugar, lemon zest and juice into a saucepan. Gently simmer until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 3-5 mins until the strawberries have broken down and the liquid is reduced by half.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool until needed.
Make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg Fan assisted.
- Grease and line a 900g Loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Using an Electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until lighter in colour. Because of the amount of sugar to butter ratio it will not become light and fluffy.
- Add the Vanilla Extract and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, adding a tablespoon of flour to help prevent curdling.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add half the Yogurt and half of the remaining flour. Mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining flour and Yogurt and mix until well combined.
- Do not over beat as you will stretch the Gluten in the flour and this could give the cake a dense texture.
- Pour half the cake batter into the prepared loaf tin,spreading the batter evenly at the bottom of the tin. Spread half of the cooled Strawberry Jam on top of the cake batter in the centre. Avoid touching the sides of the tin.
- Add the remaining cake batter evenly over the top of the jam.
- With a knife or skewer, create swirls of jam through the cake batter. Don’t worry if some of the jam finds its way to the top of the batter.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approx 55 – 60 mins or until baked, testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.