Once you've made this Spiced Banana and Hazelnut loaf recipe, you will never want to throw away another banana. The riper the bananas are the better and sweeter the taste. Spelt flour adds a slight nutty, wholesome taste which complements the hazelnuts and spices perfectly.
Try replacing the hazelnuts with walnuts or almonds.
I prefer to grease and line my baking tins with either baking parchment or cake liners. Such as these It makes it much easier to remove the cake from the tin when baked.
This Spiced Banana and Hazelnut Loaf recipe gives you the option of using different nuts and spices. Such as Walnuts or Whole Almonds. You could also use different complementary spices such as ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg. Whatever your favourite spice, give it a try.
I have more Banana Recipes for you to try.
Can you freeze Bananas?
You can easily freeze bananas. Peel and slice them into even chunks. Lay them on a tray and freeze them individually before wrapping them or placing them into a freezer bag or container.
Keen to Bake More?
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment with a rating, to let me know how you got on.
Spiced Banana and Hazelnut Loaf
- Hand Mixer
- 900g/2lb loaf tin
- Baking Parchment
- 150 g butter softened
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 125 g spelt flour
- 100 g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 100 g hazelnuts finely chopped
- 2 large bananas lightly mashed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until lighter in colour with a creamy texture.
- Keep the mixer going and gradually add the eggs a little at a time, adding a little flour to help prevent curdling.
- Sieve the flours, spices and baking powder together, then add to the cake batter. Mix until well combined.
- Add the bananas and hazelnuts. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for approx 50 minutes, or until baked, testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out cleanly.
- Leave in the tin for 10 – 15 minutes to cool a little before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.