The sponge is as light as a feather and is filled with fresh raspberries, crushed caramel brittle and a cream cheese frosting that’s flavoured with Sugar and Crumbs Raspberry Ripple flavoured icing sugar.
I warn you, you’ll want to eat more than one slice.
Raspberry Ripple swiss roll
Ingredients - Imperial /oz are approx weights which are calculated by a 3rd party app
- 100 g white caster sugar
- 35 ml water
- 3 medium eggs separated
- 140 g golden caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g self raising flour
Filling and Topping
- 180 g full fat cream cheese
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 30 g Raspberry Ripple flavoured icing sugar from Sugar and Crumbs. sieved
- 30 g flaked almonds
- 300 g fresh raspberries
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment, or use a non stick baking liner. Put the sugar and 35ml of water into a heavy-bottomed pan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the syrup to a boil until it begins to turn a golden caramel colour. Keep watching it.
- Remove from the heat and pour on to the baking parchment allowing it to find its own level. Leave to set and cool completely.
- When cool, break the brittle into chunks before blitzing in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Leave to one side until required.
Make the swiss roll
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/fan 160 C/gas 4. Grease and line a 32 x 23cm Swiss roll tin.
- Beat the egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla extract,using a wooden spoon or electric whisk, until thick and creamy and much lighter in colour.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue whisking as you slowly add the caster sugar until you have stiff peaks. Gently fold a little of the egg white into the yolk mixture to loosen it, then fold in two thirds of the egg white, then the flour and finally the remaining egg white.
- Carefully pour the batter evenly into the tin and bake for 8–10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin to cool for a few minutes, then turn it out onto a fresh sheet of baking parchment that’s coated in caster sugar. Remove the old parchment. Beginning at the shorter end, roll up the sponge, including the paper. Leave rolled until it is cool.
- Make the filling. Mix together the cream cheese and icing sugar until just combined. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add this to the cream cheese mixture and mix until combined. Do not overmix.Unroll the sponge,leaving it laid out on the baking parchment, then spread half the filling over it. Scatter over half of the raspberries, cut them in half if needed, followed by a large handful of the crushed brittle and half the flaked almonds.
- Starting with the shorter end, and with the aid of the baking parchment, start to roll the sponge around the filling. Place the remaining filling in a piping bag fitted with a rosette nozzle and pipe rosettes on top of the roll. Decorate with the remaining raspberries, flaked almonds. Scatter more brittle over the whole cake.
- Will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.