A very simple Sultana cake recipe with the added flavours of Orange and Mixed Spice. Quick and easy to make.
You may also like a much larger version of this cake with an Orange Drizzle Topping. Sultana and Orange Drizzle cake.
If you love fruit cakes why not try my all time favourite Yorkshire Tea Loaf
Ingredients - Imperial /oz are approx weights which are calculated by a 3rd party app
- 85 g Sultanas
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 2 tbs Orange Juice
- 85 g Butter Softened
- 85 g Light Muscovado Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 85 g Self Raising Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Mixed Spice
- 2 tbs Demerara Sugar
- Get all your ingredients ready and weighed out.
- Preheat the oven to 170 deg Fan assisted.
- Have ready 1 x Disposable (Paper) 7" Cake Tin or grease and line the base of a (7") 18cm loose bottomed cake tin.
- Place the Sultanas in a small dish. Add the Zest and Orange Juice. Give everything a good stir and leave to one side for the fruit to plump up, while you get on with making the cake batter.
- Using a hand held mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until lighter in colour and a little fluffy.
- Beat in the Eggs one at a time, adding a little flour in-between to help prevent curdling.
- Add the remaining flour and Mixed Spice. Mix until well combined.
- Sieve the soaked Sultanas and discard any excess juice. You don’t want this in the cake batter as it will alter the texture and make it too runny for baking. Add the Sultanas to the cake batter and give it a good mix
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin, levelling off the top. Sprinkle the Demerara Sugar evenly on the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 – 30 mins. Testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean.