This Tart, Sharp, lightly spiced syrup is made using Organic Apple Juice that is not made from concentrate. I’m not able to say what the result would be if you tried juice made from concentrate, but I wanted the syrup to be as free from additives as possible. I used a supermarket own brand of Organic Apple Juice ( not from concentrate)
From 2 Litres of juice, it condensed into approx 375 ml of Syrup with the consistency of runny honey. I decanted 250ml into a small Kilner jar and the remainder into a small jam jar.
Suitable for flavouring cake batters and frostings or just pour over your favourite desserts. Keep in the fridge. Shelf life unknown as this stage.
Tart, Sharp Apple Syrup
Ingredients - Imperial /oz are approx weights which are calculated by a 3rd party app
- 2000 ml Organic Apple Juice. Not from concentrate
- 1 Whole Star Anise
- 1 Whole Nutmeg
- 1 Vanilla Pod sliced along the length to release the seeds
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- Pour the juice into a large pan. Add the Nutmeg, Star Anise and Vanilla pod. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer on a medium heat, without a lid on, for approx 2 hours until the liquid has reduced to just under a quarter of its original volume.Check the level of juice every half hour.
- When the level of liquid has reduced to a just under a quarter of it’s original volume, remove the spices.Add the sugar. Simmer and stir for a couple of moments, until the sugar is well dissolved.
- Take off the heat and pour in to suitable heat proof sterilised containers.The Syrup will still look rather runny and in a liquid state at this stage, but once it is bottled and cooled, it becomes pourable and spreadable as runny honey.